Saturday, November 14, 2015

Saturday at the Quilt Museum - Log Cabin Quilts, Part 3

Log Cabin Quilt Collage 3

This is our last week on Log Cabin Quilts!  What a fun time it's been for me.  I hope you've enjoyed the journey, as well.


Log Cabin - Pineapple
1888
53" x 53.5"

Log Cabin - Pineapple 1888

I haven't really thought of Pineapple quilts as Log Cabins before, but there is plenty of documentation that indicates they are!  

This one is spectacular.  It is made of silk, satin, and ribbon.  The colors are striking and the depth amazing.

There is no information as to its provenance, but you can see more about it here:

* * * * * * *
Pineapple
Pennsylvania
1850
78" x 86"
Pineapple Pennsylvania 1850

I love this indigo and white version of the Pineapple setting. Isn't the movement in it spectacular?  The fact that it was made in 1850 stuns me.  165 years old and as beautiful as the day it was completed.

You can see more here:

* * * * * * *
Medallion with Pineapple Log Cabin
New Jersey
1865-1875
65.5" x 66"
Medallion with Pineapple Log Cabin New Jersey 1865-1875

Isn't this one interesting?  Pineapple blocks used to frame a medallion center, with a printed border.  The fabrics used are silk, velvet, taffeta and faille (a more substantial silk fabric).  The colors appear deep and rich in this photo.  Can you see the birds?  The nosegays are sweet, too.  Apparently there is embroidery on it, though I can't tell where.  I wonder if it was made for an occasion?  A wedding gift?  A mourning quilt?  I wish the maker's name had not been lost!

You can see more here:

* * * * * * *
Log Cabin Variation
Rozilla Fenno Upham Stetso
1875-1900
67" x 86"
Log Cabin Variation Rozilla Fenno Upham Stetso 1875-1900

Isn't this a clever one?  Creating a shoofly pattern out of log cabin blocks! And the concentric squares, as well.  It's a happy quilt. Makes me wonder if it was made for a child.

You can see more here:

* * * * * * *
Log Cabin Variation
1876-1900
78" x 80"
Log Cabin Variation 1876-1900

Another variation, this one having some velvet and silk in it, as well as cotton, lawn/twill weave.  I love the warmth of the colors.  It make me think of a winter evening wrapped up before the fire.

Doing the math, these are 4" blocks.  With three logs around the center block, that would make the strips about 1/2" again, like the one we saw earlier.  That's a lot of little strips!

You can see more here:

* * * * * * *

Well, we are finished with our tour of Log Cabin Quilts.  I certainly had fun and it was very educational for me, as well.  I knew there were an amazing number of settings for this block, but I learned there were some I had never seen!


Thanks for joining us for our tour of Log Cabin  Quilts!
Happy Quilting!!


PLEASE NOTE:
- I am not a quilt historian.  I simply enjoy finding interesting quilts and sharing them with you!
- The quilt images on this post were sourced from The Quilt Index unless otherwise noted, and are linked to their origin whenever possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment