Saturday, June 6, 2015

Quilt Label Pens

UPDATE: Unfortunately, this pen has been discontinued by Pentel.
I have ordered in a number of them, so will have them in stock for awhile anyway.
I'll be looking for a suitable replacement!

* * * * * * * * *

I have been on the hunt for a good pen for writing my quilt labels.  I've tried several and have been disappointed with all of them in one way or another.  They've either faded when washed or skipped when writing, or the line hasn't been the right width.

When I finished my last quilt, and pulled out all those pens (and there were a lot of them!), I was motivated to do a Google search to see what pens have worked well for other quilters.

I came across a blogger that had done a comparison on a number of pens, and her conclusion was that the Pentel Gel Roller for Fabric met the majority of her criteria.


Pentel Gel Roller Pen for Fabric


I got one, used it, and I have to agree with her.  It has been great!

The ink is permanent, waterproof, and acid-free.  It doesn't smudge or smear and withstands repeated washings.  It has a 1 mm tip, which may seem a bit big for small labels, but I've found that if I don't bear down too hard, the line width is fine.  It also writes smoother if I don't press too hard.  

If you'd like to read the blog post about the pen comparison, you'll find it here:

Which pen to use?

If you end up buying one, make sure it's the one for Fabric!

Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment