Saturday, April 2, 2016

Saturday at the Quilt Museum - Burgoyne Surrounded


Burgoyne Surrounded quilts have drawn my attention many times.  This week we'll take a look at a variety of them.  The old ones most often are done in red and white.  These are in chronological order this time.  I thought it might be fun to see them that way.

Burgoyne Surrounded Signature Quilt
Methodist Episcopal Missionary Sewing Society
Newark, New Jersey
1846
85" x 99"


This is the oldest version of Burgoyne Surrounded that I have found.  It has an interesting story behind it.


The quilt label reads:
Presented to Rev. Wm. Roberts & Lady
by the ?????? Missionary Sewing Society
of the Franklin St. M. E. Church*
Newark NJ
October 20,1846
"And all the ends of the Earth shall fear Him."

*Methodist Episcopal


The quilt was taken w/ Rev. William and Hannah Roberts when they left New Jersey for Oregon, 1846.
For more information and pictures, follow the link below.

* * * * * * *
Martha A Page
1852

I simply love this one!  What an awesome combination of hard edges and curves.

Isn't the border wonderful?  I think I have to use it as inspiration for something!

I can't find any further information about the quilt other than what captions it on Pinterest.  "Martha A. Page, 1852." There is a post to which it is attached on Civil War Talk, but the thread is so long, I gave up trying to find anything pertinent.  I guess we'll just have to enjoy it!

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/civil-war-quilts-era-commemorative-inspired.98231/page-2

* * * * * * *
Burgoyne Surrounded
1855


This is an interesting treatment of the pattern.  Using the flying geese sashing changes it a lot.  What do you think of it?

I can't find any more information on this one.

* * * * * * *
Burgoyne Surrounded/Road to California
1875
Pennsylvania


I love the look of this one.  The fabrics are so varied and fun.  No more information on this one, either.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/herroyalmajesty/6326000498/in/set-72157627961884277/

* * * * * * *
Burgoyne Surrounded
Eulalie Woodhouse
Newark (NJ?)
1891-1928


I love these quilts that have so much information blazing out on the top!  It's all I know of it, and I like the uniqueness of it.

* * * * * * *
Burgoyne Surrounded
Jo Morton


Just for fun, I thought I'd share Jo's wonderful rendition of the pattern.  What a marvelously warm feel it has.  I'm tempted to give it a try!


Thanks for joining us on our tour of Burgoyne Surrounded Quilts!

Happy Quilting!!


PLEASE NOTE:
- I am not a quilt historian.  I simply enjoy finding interesting quilts and sharing them with you!

- The quilt images on this post were sourced from Pinterest, unless otherwise noted, and are linked to their origin whenever possible.








No comments:

Post a Comment